Quick and Easy Tutorial For Door/Shut Lines

5 people favorited this.
I decided I'd put this one together quickly for tuna as his door lines weren't quite to the quality of the rest of his chop:

So here's what we're gonna start with. A nice blank canvas to put some shut-lines on.
screenshot20111229at836.png

Now what you've gotta do is grab the pen tool, and using some sort of reference (whether that be the location of the original cars door lines or perhaps the donor) trace out the location of where the lines will be. See how I've made sure to follow the contours of the car's body
screenshot20111229at838.png

Next we're going to pick a colour from a dark section of the car's paint. We won't choose black, as sometimes it screws up the tones of the car. Right here should do:
screenshot20111229at842.png

Now you'll have to choose an appropriate brush size for the lines when we stroke them. Here 2px seemed to be about right. Depending on your canvas size it may be anywhere from 1-5px. Create and new layer (perhaps named "lines"), right click and select "Stroke Path", making sure that you have the brush tool selected in the drop-down menu. The result should be something like this:
screenshot20111229at844.png

Well that's the basic lines done - but it stil is very basic looking. We'll need to add some highlights around those lines as these areas will be catching light differently to the body work around them. What I do is duplicate the layer containing the lines and invert it using ctrl+i. Now it'll look something like this:
screenshot20111229at847.png

Now you'll need to move the highlights layer so that it's located underneath the original "lines" layer. Then move it a few pixels left, right, up or down until the lighting seems to match convincingly. Here it looks ok:
screenshot20111229at848.png

Now duplicate that highlights layer so there now should be two of them. Set one of the layers on "overlay", this will bring out a natural highlight colour to the paint (in this case one with a nice pinkish tinge). Leave the duplicate layer on normal and turn it's opacity right down. Erase the layer with overlay mainly in areas towards the shadows of the cars as in these places the highlight colour seems out of place (and instead a more natural whiter colour should show through). Play around erasing each of the layers and playing around with their opacity until it looks realistic. In this tutorial my overlay layer remained at a 100% opacity, while the layer with the normal layer style was on 20% opacity. The result should look a little like this:
screenshot20111229at852.png

Next I added some finishing touches. Firstly I grabbed the burn tool and lightly darkened the lower areas of my original "lines" layer - particularly where the lines were in areas where the paint was dark (in this case my lines were actually lighter in colour that the original paint work!). I then grabbed a 1px brush and (on a new layer) added some stronger highlights along the door lines where I believe looked natural. In this case I may have over done it a little, but at least it shows you where some areas could do with stronger highlights. So here's the final result:
screenshot20111229at855.png
Post edited December 29, 2011 at 01:24:05 PM by Klaus
puszka321 wrote:
please video xD
MK211 wrote:
I really like the nos coming out of the rims
Cool ! i like it! Useful tutorial! THX :-d
I love 🔰 !!!
THX man!!!
my add to this could be to make selection of the doorline area (either select the path you created or normally just select) and use that to copy the area below of it, which has the paint on it

copy it two layers
that way you can darken the original paint and all its different shades and tones as whole and you are not stuch with one colored filler looking piece

same with highlighting lines but only in reverse, to make it lighter

then move them slightly apart to give more depth and play with opacity layers of them to get the effect which suits the surrounding lighting

Please login to post